The Ching Family lived at Coombe Head Farm Sticklepath, Devon, in Sampford Courtenay Parish, Okehampton Registration district. George and Eliza Ching had three daughters and twin sons:
|Eliza Huxtable||1827||1911||Mrs George Ching|
|Eliza Ellis Ching||1856||1918|
|Kezia Huxtable Ching||1860||1933||Mrs Albany Finch 3rd|
Mrs William Middle
|Georgina Ching||1863||1917||Mrs Albany Finch 2nd|
|George Edwin Ching||1867||1926|
|Louis Richard Huxtable Ching||1867||1927|
My grandmother had told me that Kezia was known as Kate. (Video recording 1989). Kezia is in the centre of the back row:
Genealogy reports need to be evidence based and cite references, giving the original document and where and when accessed, allowing a future reader to find the documents and understand conclusions reached: References – accessed online March 2021
- FreeBMD database on-line, image accessed via ancestry.co.ukhttps://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
2. Devon Heritage Centre Ref 1812D ADD 2/1 entry 243 transcript accessed through findmypast.co.uk
3. England & Wales Census 1861 Okehampton District Class: RG 9; Piece: 1469; Folio: 98; Page: 13; GSU roll: 542818 Image accessed via ancestry.co.uk
4. England & Wales Census 1871 Okehampton District Class: RG10; Piece: 2156; Folio: 24; Page: 6; GSU roll: 832040. Image accessed via ancestry.co.uk
5. England & Wales Census 1881 Newton Abbot District Class: RG11; Piece: 2156; Folio: 123; Page: 26; GSU roll: 1341520. Image accessed via ancestry.co.uk
6. England & Wales Census 1881 Okehampton District Class: RG11; Piece: 2226; Folio: 89; Page: 4; GSU roll: 1341536 Image accessed via ancestry.co.uk
7. England & Wales Census 1901 Okehampton District Class: RG13; Piece: 2123; Folio: 38; Page: 3 Image accessed via ancestry.co.uk
Each source and the information they provide need to be detailed and analysed. Important negatives stated:
An original copy of her birth certificate has not been seen. Her birth registration in the England & Wales Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915 is in the Okehampton district 1860 Jul-Sep vol 5b page 369, though it is mis-transcribed as Kesia H?table (1). This reference and mother’s maiden name were confirmed on GRO index online (2).
Her Baptism was at Okehampton Wesleyan Methodist and the transcript states birth 6 Sep 1860, to George and Eliza Ching, residence Sampford Courtenay, baptism 26 Sep 1860 (3).
The Census provides much information. In 1861 George is a Higgler. George and Eliza live with Eliza’s parents, declared son-in-law and daughter of the head of household. Kezia is grand-daughter aged 7 months (4). In 1871 George, now a Carrier, is head of household with Eliza his wife and daughter Kezia aged 10 years (5). In 1881 a Kate H. Ching (transcribed as Kati M.), parlour maid aged 21, one of 7 servants to the 13 member Bouchier Wrey family (6). Born, as with above census entries in Sampford Courtenay, her age and particularly birthplace help confirm her identity here. In 1881 George, an Ag Lab, and Eliza have a sister-in-law Kezia Huxtable staying with them showing this is a family name (7). I have been unable to find her in 1891 census despite a fairly rigorous search. (Not with the Bouchier Wrey family at Tawstock Court, nor in Sticklepath area census.)
It is important to detail exactly what searches have been undertaken and the date so that work is not repeated un-necessarily. Ideas for the next steps in research are also helpful when looking at this person in future and perhaps more records are accessible.
In 1898 she married Private William Middle, 40 years her senior. The newspaper report states ‘Kate’ was the second daughter of George Ching. (Newspaper clipping, paper unknown, not found at britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk). She calls herself Kate H Middle in the 1901 census (8).She re-married by licence on 23 Feb 1918 as stated on the GRO marriage certificate in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Par Green, Tywardreath, Cornwall, St Austell district Entry no 20. Father’s name (Farmer deceased) is confirmed. Kezia was 4 years older than Albany, and not 55 as stated on the typed certified copy of 1976. It also gives the wrong surname (Smith) for Albany’s father. View of the original entry advised.
Future research could include Kezia’s birth certificate, her parents marriage records, sibling’s baptisms, her school record, 1891 census, her first marriage certificate and potentially her memorial inscription, may all add weight to the evidence.
(This was based on an exercise for a Pharos course March 2021. I have further information regards the Ching Family if you are researching this family please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org)